1.12.2011

It's Amazing.

It's amazing to me how much you can love a child. Anyone that knows me very well, knows my apprehension with children. I've grown to know that it's not that I don't like children as a whole. I don't like kids that I don't know and I certainly don't like kids that don't know how to behave. So pretty much, if I know you and your kid and you're ok with me making sure he or she stays in line, then we'll be fine. Well, fine for a little while. My patience with children (read: anything other than crafts) is limited. If I'm well rested and don't have other things going on or to worry about, then me and your child can have fun 'til we drop! But if I need a nap, or have something else to work on...not so much. I don't know how to balance hanging out with a kid and getting on with my life all at the same time.

Whoa. Ramble much?

At any rate, my point here is that I never believed I would love a child quite like I love my nephew and two little cousins. I feel bad for saying this, because I love my sister Abby so, so much. But I was 14 when she was born. And let's be real, I was not at my most mature, therefore my capacity to love anyone other than myself was limited. But with the boys now, I would do anything for them. I think I can honestly say I would risk my life for them. To me, that's a pretty big deal. Like HUGE.

This might seem odd to just bring up. But Dalton's Mommy asked me to keep him tonight, which I was beyond delighted to do, and there's just really nothing like sharing popcorn and a movie with a little guy that thinks you're the coolest aunt around. Or getting big neck squeezes for no real reason. It makes me question if my heart is as cold to children as I once believed it was.

Now, for all your trouble, I'll leave you with these cuties!




No comments:

Post a Comment