1.01.2011

This Year.

At this time of year, so many people write out hopes and dreams or resolutions about the progress they are going to make in the year to come. And often times, these resolutions are quickly thrown out the window. I have fallen victim to this tradition too and have decided to do something about it. This year, I resolve to be happy with myself just the way I am.

I'm single. As single as they come in fact. I haven't been on a date in AGES. It's something that I struggle with accepting. The social norm, especially at my age and in my geographic location, is to be attached. To have someone to have those warm fuzzy feelings about. I'm not and I don't feel warm nor fuzzy. It's something that bothers me. Not because I feel unfulfilled, because that's not true at all. I just want to be like everyone else I guess. But the truth of the matter is, I'm not like everyone else. I am single and I can be happy with or without some guy in my life. And this year, that's what I'm gonna do.

I'm an (almost) 24 year old full-time college student that lives at home with my grandparents. Because of the choices I've made throughout my life, I'm a little behind most people my age. Most of my friends have graduated college and are getting real jobs, getting married or buying houses and moving out on their own and on with their lives. I chose a different route years ago. I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to focus solely on school right now and to have a supportive family that gives me a place to stay and the things I need to succeed now even though its a little late. Instead of dwelling on the place that I'm not at, I'm gonna be happy with just where I am in life.

I am who I am. I shouldn't have to change for anyone else or for myself. If I choose to change, it will be on my own accord and to truly better myself. Not for some cookie cutter that I'm supposed to fit in. 2011 will be a happy, healthy time for me even if it kills me :)


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment