7.25.2010

The Trip From HELL!


So this weekend, I took seven 17 and 18 year olds to Six Flags Over Georgia to celebrate Allison's 18th birthday. Any of you that know me, know that my cousin Treavor, Allison's boyfriend, are unusually close. So for me to spend a weekend with he and his friends is really not out of the ordinary. Bright and early Saturday morning, we loaded up and headed south. There were many, many bad times (hence the title) that I won't elaborate into. What I will tell you about is Treav, Allie, and my boo Ross.

As I said, Treavor and I have always been unusually close. I say unusually because really, how many boy and girl cousins that are six years apart in age hang out on a regular basis? It's bizarre, I know, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. You can look through old pictures from when we were kids, and there is a ridiculous amount of pictures of Treavor and I! I joke to Aunt Deana that I'm gonna but my own baby ad in his senior yearbook to fit them all in. I think he and I are a lot alike, which makes it easier for us to relate. We like to go to games, and swim, and just be goofy pretty much all the time. My favorite tradition that Treavor and I have is the UT/Bama game in October. This will be the third year we've gone together (and hopefully third victory for Bama...ROLL TIDE!) and I'm really, really looking forward to it. Something I'm not looking forward to however, is next fall when he goes to college. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for him and I will do anything possible to help him attain his dream of attending UT. With that said, I am gonna be a mess when he leaves. And that bothers me more and more everyday.

Ok, so there is a point to this gushing about my love for my cousin, I promise. Along the way of Treav's life, I've met and made friends with so many great kids that are his friends. Two years ago, when my uncle died, I saw more friends reach out to him to support him and care for him than I could ever share with you. There have been a few, though, that have really made an impression on me, and Ross is for sure one of them.

The story about Ross is a funny one. Ross's mom, Bethany (what's up shout out!), and Treavor's mom, Aunt Deana, were BFF in high school. Though Treav and Ross were close to each other in age, they really weren't raised and destined to be BFF like their moms. That's where fate stepped in and brought the two together a couple years ago. Since then (but really forever), Ross and his parents have become like family to Treav, me and our whole family.

Ross is one of those kids that you just want to hug. He is one of my favorites ever and I'm really glad to have gotten connected with him through Treavor. This weekend was the second of many trips to come that Ross has come on with me. He's moving off to Knoxville in like 20 days or something and I'm just about as sad with him leaving as I will be when Treavor does. I'm excited for him and this new part of his life, but sad sad sad to see him go. At least I have his wonderful mom and dad still here in GB to hang out with and many trips to look forward to!
Allison, aka Allie, AllieCat, AllieGator, or Gator, is by far the best addition to the Cousin Club in many, many moons. She and Treav have been seeing each other for almost two years, and in those two years, she has become a wonderful addition to our family.
She is one of the most caring and sweet girls I've ever met and I'm so happy to have gotten to know her and be a part of her life. She comes from a great family, who have welcomed all of us with open arms, which if you know many of us, is not an easy task! I'm looking forward to working with Allison through her college journey to become a teacher like me!

With the help of these three, I made it through an otherwise undesirable weekend. Luckily, I learned that next time, it will just be the four of us! I'm thankful for great family and great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment