9.04.2010

Day 7. Your Ex-boyfriend

I'll begin with a disclaimer from yesterday. Not only was I too busy to post, but I also find it a little too creepster for me to write about a stranger.

Moving on.

Today. Oh, do I have plenty to write about today. It's kinda funny that this one happens on this very day, as I spent all of it with said person. Jason's grandma passed away this week, so I've been with him doing funeral stuff today.

Anywho, on to the main event. Jason and I started out as friends many, many years ago. He and I spent a lot of time together during high school since we were involved in a lot of the same activities. He also worked with my grandma and his family were friends of my family, so naturally, we were very close. Brilliant as we are, just a few weeks before he moved to Knoxville, you know, THREE HOURS AWAY, we decided then was the best time for us to try for more than just friends. Great idea, right?

Meanwhile, here we are four years later, friends again. There were lots of terrible, terrible times. Lots of hateful words and hurtful actions taken on both of our parts. But there were lots of great times too. My very favorite memory of our "together" time was pretty close to the beginning. My family has an adult Halloween party every year, and much to my sadness, Jason just couldn't make it in to come with me. He had exams or a test or something. But that Friday afternoon, as I was cleaning up my room and doing laundry, Jason walked up my stairs. I think I cried. I was so happy to see him and excited and surprised. I was lots of things. I like to remind him of these times, aka the times when he really loved me :)

As I said, we certainly have had more than our fair share of issues. I'm not going to say that I was never at fault, cause that wouldn't be true. But he was never perfect either. We went back and forth, on and off for about three and a half years. We broke up for the last time at the first of the year and I was beyond devastated. Jason was always the person that I thought I'd spend my life with. I really thought I would marry him and we would live happily ever after. So naturally, when I saw that crumbling around me, it wasn't good. We didn't speak-civilly at least-for several, several months. I was hurt, he needed time to get himself together. We just needed time apart.

During this time was really the first time in our whole debacle that I moved on. I had somewhat dated other people in break ups past, but never truly moved on. This time was different though, and I found myself wanting him less and less. I didn't want to risk getting hurt again, I didn't want to be in that situation anymore, and I didn't want to waste anymore time. So I was bound and determined to not ever be back with him again. Ever.

Well, that's where I believe fate stepped in. I literally ran into him at a bar in Knoxville in early April. I was still bitter, he was, well I don't know what he was. At any rate, we sat and talked. I cried-in the middle of a bar, embarrassing. We came to some kind of peace between us then and there. Since then, we have reverted back to the friendship we had years ago. Do we still have problems? Yes. Way too many. But we see our friendship as what it is-ugly, complicated, strong, and forever.
I've written about him before and said that a lot of people don't understand our relationship. And I get that it's very unorthodox, but it works for us, and as long as it does, that's all I care about. I could go on for days about all the fights we've had and all the break ups we've been through, but what's the point? The past has passed, and that time in our life is over. I'm just glad to have my friend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment